And for those who’re searching for one thing a bit completely different to the standard meat-heavy fare – whether or not you’re a vegan or vegetarian, catering to people who find themselves, or simply can’t face one other pig in a blanket – do this granola-crusted, stuffed butternut squash dish, which is certain to elicit loads of oohs and ahhs from the assembled visitors.
The recipe is from the Vegetarian Society Cooking College’s suite of veggie Christmas recipes, which function different mains, in addition to sides and candy treats. And for those who’re caught for a last-minute reward for the vegetarian, vegan or chef in your life, the Cookery College gives reward vouchers to its programs in Altrincham.
Hasselback Butternut Squash With Chestnut And Cranberry Granola Crust
Preparation: 50 minutes
Cooking: 1 hour 10 minutes
Components (serves 4)
- ½ massive butternut squash, washed, halved lengthwise, then de-seeded
For the stuffing
- 150g cooked quinoa (cooked as per packet directions, with ½ vegetable inventory dice for additional flavour)
- 1tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 50g kale, washed and roughly chopped
- Pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2tbsp dietary yeast
- 1tsp wholegrain mustard
For the granola crust
- 10g pecans
- 20g chestnuts
- 15g dried cranberries
- 30g oats
- 2 sprigs of recent thyme, leaves solely
- 2tbsp rapeseed oil
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/fuel mark 7.
- Line a flat baking tray with non-stick baking parchment. Place the squash lower aspect down on the tray and bake for 35 minutes. That is to ensure it’s delicate sufficient to chop the hasselback slices.
- Whereas your squash is roasting, make the stuffing. Warmth the oil gently on a medium warmth in a frying pan. Add the diced shallot, crushed garlic and the salt and black pepper. Prepare dinner gently, stirring commonly till the shallot begins to melt.
- Add the kale and proceed to prepare dinner for 5 to seven minutes till the kale is wilted. Add the dietary yeast, quinoa and mustard and stir properly. Put aside till wanted.
- After 35 minutes, take away the squash from the oven and permit to chill for 5 minutes. Utilizing a pointy knife, lower partially by way of the squash width-ways, alongside the entire size, at 1cm intervals. Don’t lower throughout every slice – go away about 1cm nonetheless uncut to maintain the squash in a single piece. Your intention is create massive sufficient slits to stuff, which can open out barely throughout cooking. To make certain you don’t lower the entire approach by way of the squash, lay a wood spoon subsequent to the squash so your knife will contact the spoon relatively than the tray. This could offer you about the suitable depth of slice.
- Utilizing a teaspoon or small knife, push somewhat of your stuffing into every lower part, gently easing the slices aside to create a spot. Keep on on this approach till you’ve gotten stuffed all of the sections. Don’t fear if the stuffing drops by way of the area the place the seeds had been – it’ll nonetheless prepare dinner by way of. Use all of the stuffing if doable. Relying on the dimensions of your squash, the filling could spill out of the aspect and the highest, however this creates a beautiful overstuffed look. Return the squash to the oven and roast for an extra ten minutes.
- Subsequent make the granola. Roughly chop the pecans, chestnuts and cranberries. Mix all of the components besides the oil in a small bowl and put aside till wanted.
- After ten minutes, take away the squash from the oven. Utilizing a pastry brush, generously oil the squash, paying specific consideration to any uncovered pores and skin. Sprinkle your granola over the squash. You’ll be able to cowl the squash totally or crust a large line alongside the highest of the squash.
- Return to the oven for an extra 12 to 15 minutes. When cooked, the squash needs to be delicate to the contact and the granola needs to be crisp. Any uncovered kale could blacken barely, which supplies an incredible smoky flavour.
- Fastidiously switch the squash to a protracted serving platter or wood board. Function your centrepiece with roast potatoes, greens, loads of cranberry sauce and gravy.
©The Vegetarian Society, reproduced with permission